Frequently Asked Questions...


Q: Who can register for the distance learning courses and live events offered by the Institute?

A: The Trauma-Informed Practices and Expressive Arts Therapy Institute is dedicated to providing professional continuing education that promotes greater understanding of creative, trauma-informed practices. The Institute offers continuing education courses/workshops and distance learning courses for mental health and healthcare professionals and master's and doctoral students, including learners from around the world. Because participants in non-US countries have different degrees and/or credentials, we do accept participants who hold equivalent credentials in their countries or can demonstrate the background needed to undertake coursework; please contact the Institute with your request or questions. 


We do reserve the right to determine eligibility for registering for online courses. Upon request, professionals must show evidence of identity and credentials including master's level or higher mental health license [preferred] or professional board certification/registration from a nationally recognized certification/registration agency in one of the creative arts therapies, counseling or play therapy, or equivalent experience. Students may be asked show evidence of enrollment in a master's level or higher or equivalent course of study before beginning courses. Continuing education credits are available to individuals holding a master's level or higher degree, and a mental health license and/or professional board certification/registration from a nationally recognized credentialing board in the creative arts therapies, counseling, social work, marriage and family therapy, psychology, medicine, or play therapy.


Q: What kinds of courses does the Institute offer?

A: The courses we offer are for continuing education and enrichment purposes only and focus on creative, action-oriented and sensory-based trauma-informed practice, counseling, and psychotherapeutic approaches with children, adolescents, adults, families and groups with an emphasis on Expressive Arts Therapy. The courses the Institute offers are intended as continuing education and can be applied to hours of expressive arts therapy study for registration as an expressive arts therapist with the International Expressive Arts Therapy Association [IEATA]. There is more information about continuing education on this page and more information about registration as an expressive arts therapist here.


Q: What does a "Certificate of Completion" mean?

A: A Certificate of Completion means you have successfully completed the course requirements and have also completed continuing education hours as stated on your certificate. If you are interested in completing the requirements for a credential in art therapy, music therapy, dance/movement therapy, drama therapy or play therapy, please consult with the various credentials boards or organizations in your country, state, province or locality to determine what specific education (undergraduate or graduate study at a college or university) is required to become a competent practitioner by law in your chosen field of practice. Additionally, some US states regulate the scope and practice of art therapy, music therapy, dance/movement therapy and other creative arts therapies in the US; please review your state's or country's regulations for more information. 


Q: Some trauma institutes offer "certification." Does this program offer certification?

A. The Institute provides certificates of completion of continuing education courses and levels of completion of coursework, but not a formal certification process. Certification generally includes passing an examination and maintenance of certification through yearly coursework approved by an accredited certification board or organization. For example, many mental health and healthcare professions "board certify" individuals through a process of examination, maintenance through yearly coursework and adherence to standards of practice monitored by an ethics or professional practice body.


Q: There are two different options for Level One-- what is the difference between the two?

A. Option One requires five courses and Option Two requires four courses; the number of course hours is the same. You can choose either, depending on your learning interests. "Trauma-Informed Art Therapy/Trauma-Informed Expressive Arts Therapy" is required for both options as a foundation course. "Expressive Arts Therapy Approaches to Resilience and Stress Reduction" is required for Option Two.