Expressive Arts Therapy and Trauma-Informed Practice Continuing Education

Online Continuing Education. Please keep in mind that continuing education for mental health and health care practitioners varies from state to state in the US. Many state-level boards grant reciprocity with national accrediting organizations and other state boards. Although a majority of state licensure boards and national accrediting organizations accept online courses and home study programs, some do not. There may also be a limit on the number of continuing education credit hours a practitioners can earn through online learning. Please check with your state board or professional organization to make sure online courses meet their requirements prior to enrollment.


All certificates are sent electronically to the email address you provide to us. We keep a record of your certificates; should you ever need an electronic copy again, please contact us. 


We are currently working on extending continuing education [CE] for additional professions including psychologists, social workers and marriage and family therapists. Announcements coming soon!


Counselors/National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC). Trauma-Informed Practices and Expressive Arts Therapy Institute has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6557. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC are clearly identified. Trauma-Informed Practices and Expressive Arts Therapy Institute is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs. 


Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors. Trauma-Informed Practices and Expressive Arts Therapy Institute is an Approved Continuing Education Provider by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors. Our Texas Provider Number is 2318.


Art Therapy Credentials Board [ATCB]. The ATCB recognizes a variety of CEC activities, including those in the areas of professional and mental health counseling. These activities are clearly outlined in their recertification standards provided to all ATR-BCs in their recertification year and on their website. A minimum of six CECs must be earned in the area of ethics each cycle. If you are licensed as an art therapist in your state, please check with your state board to verify what types of CEC activities are acceptable for license renewal.


Art Therapists, Music Therapists, Drama Therapists and Dance Therapists. Please check with your credentials board or state license board to ensure that any courses you take can be applied for credential renewal.


California Marriage and Family Therapists, Social Workers, Educational Psychologists and Professional Counselors. As of July 1, 2015, the State of California /Board of Behavioral Sciences [BBS] amended its regulations for continuing education providers to include National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) as a "board-recognized approval agency." If you are licensed as a marriage and family therapist, social worker, educational psychologist or professional clinical counselor in California, NBCC Approved Continuing Education Providers are recognized by the BBS to fulfill continuing education requirements. As of July 1, 2015, required CE hours can be accumulated entirely through self-study and distance learning. 


Other Mental Health and Healthcare Professionals. As we continue to expand our offerings we will be expanding our continuing education credits into other areas. Please use the Contact form to provide recommendations for future continuing education needs.

California Board of Behavioral Sciences July 2015 Regulations | Continuing Education
Here are the July 2015 regulations for licensure renewal for professionals licensed in California; please be sure to review these and their online updates at
Adobe Acrobat Document 140.9 KB

Applying Trauma-Informed Art Therapy and Trauma-Informed Expressive Arts Therapy to Your Work. The courses we offer are for continuing education and enrichment of practical skills in trauma-informed practice with children, adolescents, adults, families and groups. If you are interested in obtaining a credential in art therapy, music therapy, dance/movement therapy or play therapy, please consult with credentials boards or organizations in your country, state [for state regulations], province or locality.